In Symons’ Met. Mag., 29-8, appears the account of brilliant light accompanying an earthquake and the sound of an explosion. It happened on Jan. 25, 1894 at 9:30 p.m., 20 miles west of Hereford at Llanthomas and Clifford. Half an hour later, near Hereford and Worcester, an earthquake was felt (Nature, 49-325). Symons’ Met. Mag. also records that at Stokesay Vicarage in Shropshire, occurred “an illumination so brilliant that for half a minute everything was almost as visible as by daylight.”
–Charles Fort, New Lands, p. 476 (The Complete Books of Charles Fort, Dover, c1974).